It did not leak when I bought the car… it really did not. This leak came when just brushing the dirt out. I managed to stop it with soap.
So there was an extra, unplanned task in my Kanban-table.
There it was, removed and studied.
Ok, now it was time to make a decision. Tempting reproductions are available (between about 400-600 € delivered to Finland). After a while I thought this original one was forth saving. Perhaps I would purchase a new one in silence afterwards…
I also gave a thought to EU. There is going to be more and more bio ethanol in fuel. (Hooray EU and its ideological movements with no actual benefits) So all those rusty spots will blossom out. I ordered a can of this slime called POR15 to seal the tank from inside.
So the plan was: Cleaning outside – mending – cleaning inside – sealing inside – painting outside.
Few hours, hot air, chemicals, knife, sand paper, few more hours. Already at this point I wondered if this was a good idea after all.
Tin is the only way I can think of. I already had the goods.
Because playing with fire, the tank must be absolutely fuel-free. Water is the best displacer for any steams. And a hair-dryer comes next. I did both.
Then the mending. This was my beginners arsenal.
Acid needed. E330 as 4% was my solution.
You need more than one bathroom with this hobby.
Took no pictures from the sealing event, because both hands needed and sealer is sticky. Half a liter of POR15 would have been enough instead of one liter. Money and chemicals wasted.
Endoscope gives hope.
One may have noticed I like zink. So I started with zink and continued with Hammerites Metal Paint. Few layers.
This tank episode took quite a long time and was not so neat thing to do. Compared to purchasing a new, clean tank I saved around 300 €. I think it was worth it. or do I ..not sure if I do… At least I learned something… I guess..
What I really learned was that if it starts to leak again, I so know what to do.